|The back of the flower bed is a bit sad and neglected|
The pond has three levels. It's deep at the back, then has a shallow part at the front for birds to bathe in and creatures to drink from and a level between the two on the right hand side. We put a pond liner in, making sure there was plenty of overlap and filled it with water from the water butt.
We trimmed the liner and put stones all around the edge, to hold the liner down and cover where it was cut. We'll also put plants all around the edge later.
We carefully tipped our tadpoles into the pond (they were living in a big bucket) and put a layer of pebbles in the shallow part of the pond for them to hide amongst. We added some pond weed, watercress and floating lilies and floated a small, solar powered fountain on the water (to help oxygenate the pond).
|Launch day for the tadpoles!|
Today we were thrilled to see two pairs of mating red damselflies on the pond and one of them was even laying eggs in the pond. Less than a week old and our pond seems to be a success already! Can't wait to see what else is attracted to it!!