Monday 12 May 2014

Starling Raiders

I filled the bird feeders this afternoon and within 2 hours everything was gone ... gobbled up by a gang of about a dozen very greedy Starlings. I believe they may be the family that were nesting in our gutters, as the parents have stopped screaming at me every time I go out of the front door. They spent all afternoon squabbling and fighting and eating every scrap of food. Their favourite seems to be the suet nibbles, but I think they would eat just about anything.

The more civilized birds (Sparrows, Blackbirds, Robins, Blue Tits) had to look on as all of their favourites were demolished, nipping in any chance they got to grab a quick snack before being chased away by the raiders. The Starlings have a beautiful sheen to their feathers, but their beady eyes and greedy nature mean they're not my favourite birds.


No comments:

Post a Comment