Tuesday 21 April 2015

Green Hairstreaks at Yoesden Bank

I've had such a lovely morning visiting one of my favourite places, Yoesden Bank. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, a green woodpecker was calling from the woods behind me and the red kites were soaring over the fields below me. Then, just as I thought it couldn't get any better, I saw the first green hairstreak shoot past me, then stop for a moment.


What a treat!  It flew off and I tried to follow, but soon realised I should just stay where I was, as it kept coming back and resting near me.



Then another one appeared and they chased each other around for a while. At one point a third one joined in as well. I sat on an ant hill covered in wild thyme (I could smell it when I sat on it) and watched the chase, with one of them always ending up sat near me. That made my day!

Two green hairstreaks chased each other around
I know I go on about Yoesden Bank quite a lot on the blog, but it really is such a special place. To get to it you walk through a field full of dandelions then through a little woodland path. Then you get to the opening, where it's like stepping out into another world, a real secret garden. It never fails to take your breath away!
Across a field covered in dandelions
Through a woodland path until you get to the opening onto the bank

The wonderful views of Yoesden Bank
The blackthorn bushes at the top of the bank were covered in blossom and the hawthorn bushes had leaves. No flowers yet, but there were a few buds forming.

I sat on an ant hill under the hawthorn bush to watch the green hairstreaks
Hawthorn leaves, but no flowers yet. There could be a few buds though!
Cowslips were starting to flower in the grass on the slope of the bank, along with a short grass with a fuzzy yellow flower.
Within the trees along the back of the bank, one was covered in blossom and was quite literally buzzing. There were bees and flies all over it, making the loudest communal buzz.



I walked back through the woodland path and noticed the primroses and violets hiding in the dappled shade.

Then back through the dandelion field and I noticed a swallow sitting on the top of the cowshed and two more flying overhead. I had a quick look inside and their nests from last year were empty, just waiting to be used again.



A great way to spend a couple of hours!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely blog - great GHS images - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much. I was really pleased to see them and get a few photos.

    ReplyDelete